June 11, 2012
People cleaning their kitchen oven had a frightening experience this afternoon after the glass door shattered and two tea towels caught fire.
They were cleaning the oven with a pyrolytic cleaning feature. Tea towels were hanging on the oven door rack.
ACT Fire and Rescue went to the fire at Jervois Street, Deakin, at about 1pm.
There was minimal damage to the kitchen but the oven was destroyed.
The house was filled with some minor smoke logging which activated the smoke alarm.
Three fire pumpers and the specialist Hazardous Materials unit attended.