Tegan Osborne September 09, 2012
In two unrelated incidents, Westfield Belconnen and the REX Hotel in the city were evacuated this morning.
Staff and customers were made to leave Westfield Belconnen shortly before 11am, following reports of a fire in the complex.
ACT Fire & Rescue responded with multiple units, working to evacuate all levels of the building.
At 11.09am an ESA spokesman said firefighters had located smoke and the presence of an electrical smell, on level two of the Belconnen mall.
The smoke was generated by an overheating motor in a plant room.
By 12pm staff and customers were allowed back on to all levels of the building.
Meantime, at about 11.20am ACT Fire & Rescue responded to reports of a fire at the REX Hotel on Northbourne Avenue.
Smoke was found on level five of the building, caused by a broken exhaust system in a kitchen.
Firefighters ventilated smoke, before allowing staff and guests back inside.