David Polkinghorne June 20, 2012
A Tuggeranong junior is on the brink of a life ban from football after being hit by a massive 14-week ban for striking.
The Hawks junior, who The Canberra Times has chosen not to name, was found guilty of two counts of striking in the AFL Canberra under-18 game against Eastlake at Greenway Oval last Thursday night.
Tuggeranong has no means to appeal against the penalty, which is believed to be one of the largest handed down in AFL Canberra history. Both incidents happened in the first quarter of Tuggeranong's 110-point loss.
One of the Eastlake players was taken to hospital with head injuries.
The incident was referred to the tribunal by the AFL Canberra investigations officer. The magnitude of the ban will not only see the Tuggeranong junior miss the rest of the season but brings him to the verge of a life ban. If a player accumulates 16 weeks of suspensions throughout their career they automatically receive a life ban.
Tuggeranong football manager David Graham said rules prevented either club from commenting on the judiciary. ''The club is prohibited from commenting on AFL Canberra tribunal decisions,'' he told The Canberra Times. ''The club is fully supporting the player who has been sanctioned and will continue to support the player to deal with the outcomes from the tribunal, and to assist him in his life's aspirations.''
Eastlake declined to comment, saying the matter had been fully dealt with by AFL Canberra.